Pastoral Care & Counseling Time and Talent Needs
Trust that you are gifted!
Bear one another’s burdens,
and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. —Galatians 6:3
The Pastoral Care and Counseling Department of Village Church provides support, counsel, and prayer for this community of faith. Life brings with it burdens of grief and change, hurt and challenge. As people of faith, we are called to share one another’s burdens and celebrate each other’s joys. Dedicated volunteers play a significant role in Pastoral Care & Counseling ministries. Please consider the opportunities outlined below to help spread God’s love.
- Bereavement Card Ministry: These cards are sent to family members on the one year anniversary of the loss of their loved one. This volunteer (usually a member of the PC&C Committee) inscribes a standard message on the card and distributes the cards to the Pastoral Care & Counseling Committee during their monthly meeting for member signatures. Hand-addressed envelopes are also prepared by the volunteer. All information and materials are provided by staff. Cards are mailed by staff. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Classic Citizens Birthday Cards: Four volunteers (usually members of the PC&C Committee) each take one week a month to sign and hand address birthday cards for our 80 and over members. Packets containing cards and mailing addresses are provided. When the cards are completed, staff mails them from the church. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Friends with Flowers: These volunteers use flowers from Sunday services at Village Church to make smaller floral arrangements and deliver these arrangements to Kansas City Hospice House. This flower ministry takes place on Mondays. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-67-2327 or e-mail.
- Home Communion: In the spring and fall of each year, Village Church makes a coordinated effort to reach out to members who are ill or homebound and offer them the opportunity for home communion. Present or past Deacons or Elders may assist the pastors with this ministry. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Hospital/Rehab Visits: Stephen Ministers assist the ministers by volunteering to visit Village Church members and friends who are hospitalized or in a rehab facility. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Memorial Guild: Memorial Guild volunteers assist in two ways with memorial services held at Village Church: (1) usher duties include greeting people who are attending the service, answering questions, giving directions, distributing bulletins, assisting with coordination of the service, moving flower arrangements to the reception space and helping direct people to the reception after the service, and (2) reception volunteers set up cookies and punch and serve guests at the reception provided for by Village Church. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Office Volunteer: Volunteers are needed to staff the office at times when front desk assistance is needed and/or the Coordinator is on vacation or sick. Tasks include answering the phone, greeting visitors, and assisting as requested by the pastoral care ministers. Volunteers with computer skills would be especially valuable in this regard as other time-sensitive tasks could be included. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Respite Friends: Respite Friends offer support to family caregivers so they may take a short break from their daily responsibilities in caring for a loved one. “Respite” is a time of rest, relief and renewal of one’s spirit, strength and energy. Visits from a trained Respite Friend also provide connection, companion-level assistance and reassurance to those who are care receivers. For more information, contact Rev. Jay McKell, 913-671-2347 or email.
- Share-A-Song Ministry: This lively group of approximately 20 singers brings joy and fellowship to Connection Luncheons, offsite worship services and other smaller gatherings by sharing their gift of song. You do not have to be a member of the Village Church choir to participate. For more information, contact Carol Stockton, 816-455-0147 or email, or M.J. Stockton, 816-455-0147 or email.
- Stephen Ministry: Stephen Ministers are listeners. They receive 50 hours of training in many helping skills to equip them to provide one-on-one, confidential Christian care. Stephen Ministers seek to support with high quality, ongoing care, those who are grieving, sick, unemployed, lonely, and hurting. They are an indispensable part of our caring team. Training begins in September each year. For more information contact: Rev. Jenny McDevitt, 913-671-2367 or email.
- Sunday Flower Ministry: These volunteers use flowers from Sunday services at Village Church to make smaller floral arrangements and deliver them to members and friends in local hospitals. This flower ministry takes place on Sundays. For more information, contact Sandy Perry, 913-671-2327 or email.
- Village Visitors: It is important to stay connected to the body of Christ. Many members of our church family are unable to regularly attend worship on Sunday for health or other reasons. Village Visitors are volunteers who take time every two months to visit our homebound members, sharing with them the love of Christ and reminding them that their family of faith values them. Village Visitors visit in homes to pray and be present, to laugh and listen. Interested in becoming a Village Visitor or know someone who could use a visit? Contact Rev. Jenny McDevitt, 913-671-2367 or email.